Vanilla isn’t just for desserts! This fragrant spice lends itself for many applications and works well with almost all the seasonal ingredients. The charred orange adds just the right level of acid to the natural sweetness of the vanilla, which helps to balance out the dressing.
This dressing is the perfect topping to a mixed greens salad with spiced pumpkin, dried cranberries, goat cheese, crispy bacon, and toasted walnuts. It’s the perfect way to enjoy the flavors of the season in a healthier way.
What you’ll need:
- 3 vanilla beans, seeds scrapped
- 2 oranges, cut in half
- 1/3 cup of roasted garlic
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups walnut oil(substitute with blended oil if you can’t get walnut)
- Combine the vanilla bean seeds, roasted garlic, sugar, extract, and thyme in a blender, set aside.
- Get a dry sauté pan nice and hot and place the halved oranges face down on the hot surface. It’s going to sizzle, don’t be scared, let the pulp of the orange get a nice golden color on it. When you’ve done, that squeeze the juice into the blender and scrape the pulp and add it as well.
- Blend the ingredients, slowly add the vinegar.
- When all the ingredients are well blended begin to slowly add the oil till it’s all well incorporated.
Enjoy, and I would love to hear how you guys use your dressing in new and creative ways! Leave us a comment with your thoughts and ideas!
Have a happy Wednesday!